During the 19th century Station Hill was part of the Hinckley to Melbourne Turnpike. The Midland Railway took over the Leicester and Swannington Railway in 1846 and shortly afterwards built the Ashby and Burton extension to the railway. The name Station Hill would only have been used from sometime after the extension and its adoption as the prime name for the road would have been gradual. At the time of the 1911 census there was not a consistent name for the road as Hough Hill, Station Road, Station Hill, Townend and Main Street were all used by various residents. Elm Farm - Worked by Joseph Sheffield Shaw, his wife and daughter, plus three servants.