100 Years Ago
Moor Lane has had very little physical change during the last century, it was and continues to be sparsely populated. In the 1911 census Moor Lane is listed as Workhouse Lane, a reference to the former workhouse near Beaumont Villa. This was a subsidiary of the Ashby Union workhouse in Nottingham Road, Ashby. However the building had closed some years earlier.
In 1911 Moor Lane / Workhouse Lane was the border between Coleorton (to the north) and Thringstone (to the South). The strip of land between Mill Lane and Moor Lane was part of Thringstone until 1936 when it was transferred into Swannington. The parish boundaries are shown on the map with a dotted line.
Moor Lane, Swannington, 1903. Click map to enlarge.