PROJECT

CONTRIBUTE

EXHIBITIONS

BOUNDARIES

MAPS
spacer
HOME PAGE
spacer
Swannington 2013
spacer
CHURCH HILL
spacer
CHURCH LANE
spacer
FOAN HILL
  spacer
HOSPITAL LANE
spacer
HOUGH HILL
spacer
JEFFCOATS LANE
spacer
LIMBY HALL LANE
spacer
LOUGHBOROUGH ROAD
spacer
MAIN STREET
spacer
  MOOR LANE
spacer
NEW CLOSE
  spacer
  RED HILL LANE
  spacer
SPRING LANE
spacer
ST. GEORGES HILL
spacer
STATION HILL
spacer
THE MOOR
spacer
THE ROWLANDS
spacer
WINDMILL VIEW
spacer
 

44 Main Street, The Railway Inn
The sadly neglected corner of Main Street and the Tan Yard is the site of the former Railway Inn. 1833 built as a booking office for the Leicester and Swannington Railway, passengers had to then walk a little over half a mile from the boarding point at the top of the Incline. 1846 the Midland Railway extended the railway to Burton on Trent and built a new station near the present day Station Inn. The Railway Inn continued as a public house It claims to be the last inn in the midlands to have a "Bull Ring and Peg" game in the bar. 1929 Alfred Wheatley sold the Railway, together with an adjoining cottage, to Bass and Company Ltd for £885, it was delicensed and let as a private house 1946 sold again 1958 demolished

To find out more about the families living there in 1911,
click on the symbol to download a pdf file.


 

Photographs


Contact Swannington Heritage Trust if you have any additional photographs.

Other Information


HOME | MAIN STREET |
 

| © Swannington Heritage Trust 2014 | Registered Charity No. 515809 | Sitemap |