PROJECT

CONTRIBUTE

EXHIBITIONS

BOUNDARIES

MAPS
spacer
HOME PAGE
spacer
Swannington 2013
spacer
CHURCH HILL
spacer
CHURCH LANE
spacer
FOAN HILL
  spacer
HOSPITAL LANE
spacer
HOUGH HILL
spacer
JEFFCOATS LANE
spacer
LIMBY HALL LANE
spacer
LOUGHBOROUGH ROAD
spacer
MAIN STREET
spacer
  MOOR LANE
spacer
NEW CLOSE
  spacer
  RED HILL LANE
  spacer
SPRING LANE
spacer
ST. GEORGES HILL
spacer
STATION HILL
spacer
THE MOOR
spacer
THE ROWLANDS
spacer
WINDMILL VIEW
spacer
 

2 Main Street, Primitive Methodist Chapel

In the early 19th century there were several splits within the Methodist Movement. Primitive Methodism originated in an All Day of Prayer held at Mow Cop, Staffordshire on 31 May 1807. In 1811 the 'Camp Meeting Methodists' and the 'Clowesites', led by Hugh Bourne and William Clowes respectively, joined to form the Primitive Methodists. In 1932 the Wesleyan Methodists, the Primitive Methodists and the United Methodists came together in the Methodist Union. This led to the congregations of Swannington's Wesleyan and Primitive chapels uniting and meeting at the Wesleyan Chapel. The Primitive Methodist Chapel was used by a number of businesses and has since been converted into two apartments.

There is not any 1911 census information as the property was a chapel and did not have any residents.


Photographs

Swannington Primitive Methidist Chapel

Contact Swannington Heritage Trust if you have any additional photographs.

Other Information


CLICK HERE to read an article describing life at the Primitive Methodist Chapel in the 1930's by Ray Fowkes - from the Swannington Heritage Trust magazine "Now and Then" September 1996
HOME | MAIN STREET |
 

| © Swannington Heritage Trust 2014 | Registered Charity No. 515809 | Sitemap |