100 Years Ago
At the northern end of Main Street the route of the defunct Califat tramway can be seen to the west of the road, emerging between Brook House and The Fountain. There are very few houses on the western side of the road between The Fountain and the location of the village hall (virtually opposite The Grove) which had yet to be built. The houses in Piano Row are not shown as they were built shortly after the map was surveyed. Below the road to the Incline there are houses including Swannington House (since demolished) and The Grove.
Moving southwards the area towards Burtons Lane and Church Lane shows a lot of properties including the Bulls Head public house and all of the out buildings (now demolished) opposite it that formed part of Manor Farm.
The old Wesleyan Chapel is shown as the new one was not built on the corner of Burtons Lane until 1908. Proceeding towards the Primitive Methodist Chapel and the Robin Hood, most of the road side is farmland.
Main Street, Swannington, 1903. Click map to enlarge.
Properties Reconciled 2014 to 1911 Click the list of properties below to view