PROJECT

CONTRIBUTE

EXHIBITIONS

BOUNDARIES

MAPS
spacer
HOME PAGE
spacer
Swannington 2013
spacer
CHURCH HILL
spacer
CHURCH LANE
spacer
FOAN HILL
  spacer
HOSPITAL LANE
spacer
HOUGH HILL
spacer
JEFFCOATS LANE
spacer
LIMBY HALL LANE
spacer
LOUGHBOROUGH ROAD
spacer
MAIN STREET
spacer
  MOOR LANE
spacer
NEW CLOSE
  spacer
  RED HILL LANE
  spacer
SPRING LANE
spacer
ST. GEORGES HILL
spacer
STATION HILL
spacer
THE MOOR
spacer
THE ROWLANDS
spacer
WINDMILL VIEW
spacer
 

Church Lane, Swannington
The meandering Church Lane led from Main Street to the St. John the Baptist church in Whitwick as for centuries this was the parish church of Swannington.

A century ago travelers would have been able to stop on Church Lane Bridge and watch trucks of coal being lowered down the Incline a couple of times a week, to fuel the Calcutta Pumping Station. The current parish border crosses Church Lane just to the west of New Swannington School.

A century ago Swannington's border was further to the east so that the plot of land that was later used to build New Swannington School on, the houses up to Brooks Lane, the newly built Wesleyan Reform Union Church (1906) the current corner shop and the properties at the junction with Brooks Lane were all part of Swannington.
About
 
 

| © Swannington Heritage Trust 2014 | Registered Charity No. 515809 | Sitemap |