Many people are surprised to find that their home used to be part of Swannington,
so here’s the explanation.
Creation of Coalville Urban District Council 1894
Coalville did not exist 200 years ago. The clock tower is situated at the crossroads that was the junction of four parishes comprising:
- Whitwick to the north and east, including the library
- Hugglescote to the south and east, including the Belvoir shopping centre
- Snibston to the south and west, including the New Snibstone Inn
- Swannington to the north and west, including the Royal Mail sorting office
William Stenson developed the Long Lane pit (subsequently Whitwick pit) in 1825, then (with John Ellis from Beaumont Leys) asked George Stephenson to build a railway which resulted in the 1832 Leicester and Swannington Railway built by Robert Stephenson. The Snibston Collier Company (which included George Stephenson as a shareholder) then opened two coal mines in the 1830’s (the second one being Snibston Discovery Museum).
Houses, shops, chapels, schools and businesses soon appeared clustered around the junction of the four parishes. Coalville Urban District Council was formed in 1894 and the land on the north side of Ashby Road was transferred from Swannington Civil Parish into Coalville U.D.C. This included:
- The north side of Ashby Road including the current day Royal Mail sorting office, the recycling depot, 4th Coalville Scout HQ, All Saints School, West End Club and the chip shop.
- The recently built houses of Discovery Way
Expansion of Coalville Urban District Council 1936
As Coalville developed it grew and grew and another tranche of Swannington was transferred to Coalville in 1936. This was the Thornborough area that currently includes:
- Stephensons College
- The Jolly Colliers
Rationalisation of Boundaries 1936
The boundaries of the old manors were field boundaries and the roads in between them. It was quite logical therefore for the fields on one side of a road to belong to one manor and the fields on the other side of the road to belong to another manor.
Parishes boundaries were based on manor boundaries. As the centuries advanced more houses were built and local government services such as schools and refuse collection developed. Having houses on different sides on the same road in different local government areas became increasingly illogical. As local government changes took place boundaries were rationalised and this included parishes.
The east side of The Moorlands and part of Moor Lane, including the Kings Arms, were still part of Swannington on the 1911 census. In 1936 the boundary was moved 30 metres or so to the east so that the roadside properties could join the properties on the western side of the road as part of Coleorton parish. In many cases, their back garden fences now form the Coleorton and Swannington boundary.